Garage doors take up a huge percentage of visual real estate on the exterior of your home. Depending on the size of your house and how many cars your garage holds, it could take up half of the front of your home. In fact, garages can be so overwhelming that some HOAs have termed them 'garage mahals' and mandate side entry garages to reduce the effect on the neighborhood's overall curb appeal. Needless to say, it is important for your garage to look good if you want a quick sale.
1. Keypad: Many newer garages have a keyless entry option. This added convenience is nice when you take the dog on a walk or when children arrive home from school before parents. If your garage doesn't have one, consider adding this feature to boost its desirability.
2. Operational: This should go without saying, but do not list your house until your garage door is fully operational. If the motor is shot, call in the professionals to repair or replace the automatic garage door opener. Buyers expect everything to be in tip top shape. If it is not, they will start to wonder what other home maintenance projects you have put off.
3. Paint: Like most things, a paint job is not meant to last forever. Paint chips, bubbles, and peels over time. If the paint job on your garage door is looking worse for wear, consider re-painting it to boost your curb appeal. Choose a neutral color to allow your garage door to blend in seamlessly with the rest of your house.
4. Dents: Things happen. Maybe you backed into the garage door one day while not paying attention or scraped the side of it with your riding lawn mower. Now is the time to repair those dings and dents. Don't give buyers any excuses not to buy your house.
5. Replace: Realize that it is always better to replace anything that is broken or has reached the end of its useful life before buyers start seeing your house. This includes your garage door. If it looks worn out, replace it. Professional garage door repair companies can do this in as little as a few days.
You really do only have one chance to make a first impression, particularly in real estate, and it all starts with your garage door. Call in the professionals to give your garage door a face lift. Contact a company like Doors Unlimited to get started.Share
5 July 2016
I thought the most difficult part of teaching my son how to drive would be out on the roads, but I didn't think about what he could do to my garage door before he even left the driveway. It took one small tap with the car to damage the garage door. Even though the garage door itself looked to be fine, the impact had caused some damage to the mechanical components, and we couldn't use the garage for a while. My blog explains what we had to do to make the repairs and will give you some tips for avoiding this type of accident around your home.